Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Neighbors

Just a short post...

Now, I've never been one to complain about my neighbors. So far, knock on wood, I've been very lucky to have some very polite families living around me. I try to be as respectful as possible, since I am foreigner living in a foreign country. However, I do feel the need to share a little bit about the interesting people living on the other sides of my walls.

Most single apartments, like my own, are sandwiched between double size apartments. These are usually inhabited by couple and/or families. Now, the family that lives on the right side of me seems to be a bit older. Occasionally, I have shared the elevator with the man who lives there. He is very nice, older man. And almost every morning, as I'm passing by their door, I can hear a hair dryer going. Now, no offense to the older man, but from the amount of hair that he has, I don't think he's the one using the electrical appliance. That's what leads me to believe that his wife, sister or daughter, lives with him.

Now the people on the left side of me seem like very lovely, interesting people. They have a beautiful garden on their balcony. I first noticed it when some of their plants slowly started drifting onto my side. My balcony isn't much to look at, so I welcomed the beautiful plant life. Also, during the summer, they have a small fountain that runs. At first, the sound used to freak me out because I thought I had sprung a leak somewhere. But it turned out that my neighbors had turned on their new garden ornament. Its sound is quite peaceful, so during the summer I'll leave my doors open to listen to it. Another reason I say these particular neighbors are interesting is because they are quite the "karaoke couple." At least once a week, they break out their karaoke machine, and sing old enka hits. (For more information on "enka," please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enka and http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=D_CGEmbszrY&feature=related) I find it rather cute because it sounds like an older married couple singing to each other. And yet, the cuteness begins to fade when I'm trying to get to sleep at 12:30 in the morning! I know, I know! I'm such an old-fogey now. It's just that the enka show ended for me after about the 4th hour!

Finally, the neighbors above me. I don't know much about them. I do believe a younger couple lives there. And I can assume this because I've heard them shower at night...together. And that's all I'll say about that. (Feel free to ask Sarah about this. She slept over that night and was fortunate enough to share that awkward experience with me. Hehe.)

As far as I know, no one lives underneath me. And if there is, then I truly apologize for all the times that I did my laundry really late and got carried away dancing to music off my itunes!

Ok, time for sleep...accompanied by a serenade from my enka-singing neighbors. ;)

5 comments:

  1. i really hate enka a lot

    but i do love how your neighbours sing it... all warbly and stuff. so natural!

    maybe you should go and sing with them! duets! jero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love enka. Maybe because it is so amazingly not cool that I love it that much more. And what's life without a few quirky neighbours. I can see how sleeping could be a problem. Let it sooth you to sleep, Celeste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well hello oguri

    nice to see you on here again

    where have you been? busy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OGURI SHUN READS MY BLOG!?! AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if we woke your neighbours up playing Sergio Mendes' Capoeira Brasil at full volume? (I'm playing it now in honour of it :D)
    We also did a lot of stamping about dancing the cha cha

    ReplyDelete